Running a business can be stressful and sometimes when we’re stressed out or overwhelmed, we find it really hard to break out of it. It can take over our day (or our lives!) and have a seriously negative impact on our business.
It can also start to trickle down and affect the work we do with our clients + customers. It’s so important that you have a healthy stress management routine in place so that your business doesn’t suffer.
I just wanted to share a few of my favorite ways to stress less when needed so that you can get started ASAP.
Choose one of these, choose all of these – just remember to keep the intention of feeling relaxed and peaceful as you try them out……
- Go to a yoga class (or pilates or the gym or go for a run or do whatever kind of physical activity you like)
- Call a friend and talk about all the fun stuff going on in your lives (no bitchfest allowed!)
- Watch an episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (laugher=less stress)
- Release any negative feelings (who needs them?)
- Meditate (no need to get all Buddha-like — you can just sit still for a few minutes and focus on being in the present)
- Listen to Madonna/Bruce Springsteen/Bon Jovi (I’m a Jersey girl and I like 80’s music… you got a problem with that?)
- Get or give yourself a manicure and pedicure in a fun color (no neutrals here – I think there is nothing like a shade of blue to pick me up)
- Step away from your couch/desk/whatever is stressing you out and treat yourself to a cup of coffee or tea out (Dunkin Donuts is my coffee of choice and Yogi Honey Lavendar is my tea of choice)
- Get some fresh air (skip this if it is below freezing outside)
- Send love to somebody (it can just be a thought but it’s even better if you call them)
- Add something to your gratitude journal (you don’t have a gratitude journal?? then start one!)
- Eat an avocado (who doesn’t like an avocado??? It’s a HEALTHY fat!)
- Look at pictures of teacup pigs (why oh why do they still end up weighing hundreds of pounds?? I’d seriously get one otherwise)
- Give yourself a 30 minute break to read something fun (preferably chick-lit with a pink cover)
- Put away the electronics for 30 minutes (for real – no e-mail, texting, funny youtube videos… shut it all down)
- Color (yes with a box of crayons and even a coloring book for adults…. Others with artistic talent may choose to do a craft, paint, draw, or whatever else they desire, but coloring is the extent of my artistic talent and that’s okay)
- Plan your next vacation (nothing like daydreaming about a break at the location of your choice to help you calm down)
- LAUGH… seriously make yourself laugh (now you can check out a funny youtube video if that will do it)
- Wash your dishes (an empty, clean sink lifts my spirits IMMEDIATELY and it is also an opportunity to practice mindfulness)
- Send love to someone (think about them, call them, make a plan to see them, or all of the above)
21. JUST BREATHE (nothing causes more tension than forgetting to breathe!)
Tell me which one of these you’re going to try in the comments below!
P.S. If you’re ready to get support + strategy so you can work smarter not harder (and have less stress!) then CLICK HERE to apply for a strategy session.